In addition to being an Atlanta color consultant, decorator and home stager, from time to time I get calls for redesign services, but I find that many people still do not understand the term. To define “redesign,” it is essentially using what you already have in your home, but repositioning furnishings to give the space a fresh look. Theodore Roosevelt said, “Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.” Was he our first redesigner?
In a nutshell, here are the steps used in redesign:
- Determine the needs of the client and the purpose of the room.
- Empty the room.
- Determine the desired focal point of the space — is it an architectural element such as a fireplace, or a “moving” focal point, such as a sofa?
- Bring furniture pieces back into the room, placing them appropriately for the desired function and feel of the space, working from the largest pieces to the smallest.
- Accessorize the room, being careful not to overdo it.
- Determine which key pieces are missing and come up with a shopping list of items to purchase as the budget allows.
- Enjoy your new space!
Shown below is the “before” shot of a room with poorly placed furniture. The main entrances to the room were from the left, but they were all cut off by the sectional.
In this shot you can see that the room has been opened up to the left entrances by repositioning the furniture.
In addition, we brought in much needed lamps and repositioned a few accessories. The “new room” has now been restructured for better function and flow.
Redesign is really a simple process once you understand the basics and have a feel for placement. I recently worked with a client on an interior color consultation. I noticed that the painting she had hung in her family room above the fireplace really wasn’t appropriate for the space in terms of color or size, but thought it might work well in the living room. We moved it to the new space and it completely transformed her room! It’s typically the little “tweaks” that make the biggest difference in a space.
If a room in your home is just not working for you, give this Atlanta redesigner a call: 770-843-2307. You might have too much furniture, poorly positioned furniture, or misplaced accessories. Together we will transform your space and turn it into something you will love to come home to.
If you want your home to glow, the colors to flow, and the clutter to go, contact Patsy Overton Interiors. 770-843-2307 Accredited, Licensed, Insured